Sunday, March 11, 2012

One year ago

IMG_3638 WM


One year ago today, Japan suffered twin disasters...a 9.0 earthquake followed by a devastating tsunami.
I remember sitting on my couch with my laptop when the news broke.
Unbelievable.


I am Japanese-American and most of my relatives are still in Japan...some were in Sendai and Tokyo, cities where the quake and tsunami were most felt. Thankfully, they were all shaken but unharmed.


Japan is still in the throes of rebuilding their cities, but I can imagine that the psychological trauma from such a disaster will take much more time...I am amazed at the resilience of the Japanese people and their quiet determination to forge ahead.
Here are some amazing 'before and after' captures of the rebuilding process...


And because no post is complete without some photos, here are some images I took last summer with my own family in the WA coast...
Looking through these reminded me of the awesome force of the ocean...so beautiful to look at and vacation by, but also capable of immense destruction... and ultimately was reminded to cherish those I love and enjoy every moment of life given to us..it is truly a gift not to be wasted.

[My dad sketching on the porch]
IMG_3829 WM

Colors

IMG_3688 WM

IMG_3544 WM

IMG_3527 WM
[playing baseball on the beach]

IMG_3660 WM

IMG_3869 WM

Streams

IMG_4003 WM


Tomorrow I'll be posting up some images from a recent birthday bash, see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment